Thursday, October 15, 2015

What a day!

Today was a ball buster to say the least. We had to the drop the anchor on the dock...gently of course and flake out the chain. This involves someone...me ...pulling on the chain and walking backwards laying the chain in rows as I go. This chain is not light weight and there was 400 feet of it!  Old guys should not have to deal with this! Once it was all laid out Robert and I measured and taped off every 50 foot section. Then Robert wire brushed the taped of sections so Captain Stubbing (love boat reference there) could spray paint his magic code on the chain. Basically he sprayed white paint on 1 link for every 50 foot of chain. So at the 50 ft mark he sprayed one link and at 100 feet he painted 2 links and so on. This is done so that the captain will know how much chain he has out when dropping anchor and when retrieving the anchor.  He needs to know this because when you anchor the tides, wind, and currents will make you swing. You want to make sure that you don't swing into other boats or under water hazzards. There is a mathematic equation that is used to determine how much chain you should put out at the depth you are anchoring  at but I have not taken an interest in learning it.....it's math!
Here is a picture of all of the chain flaked out and Robert doing the wire brushing....doesn't that look fun!

We also started stowing things for our departure that will happen some time in the next few days.  Robert and I were sent back to the grocery store for steaks, fresh veggies and fruit and chocolate for Captain Kirk... (star trek reference ).

Almost forgot to tell you about dinner last night. Went to a place called 50/50. Was told it would be the best burger you have ever eaten. When we walked in all I saw were the multitudes of draft beer taps on the wall...I was hooked. It took me longer to order my beer than my burger.....my brother-in-law would have loved it! Now for the explanation on the 50/50 name. Turns out all their beef burgers are 50 percent ground beef and 50 percent ground bacon! They were good but not the best I have ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment